Based in Italy
In narrative RPG Selling Sunlight, you are a wandering merchant whose face got stolen by the Sun. To get your identity back, you'll have to wander in a world that doesn't move anymore. One side of the planet boils, costantly facing the sun; the other is a frozen desert. The only habitable zone is a thin line of never-ending sunset, an orangish place full of fire spirits, wailing sun-priests, withering plant people, spiders and bees. Discover new wonders and cultures, make friends, trade and conspire against the Sun Himself to get your identity back. Will you ask for His pardon, or try to defile Him?
Selling Sunlight was born as a one-woman diversion from a very boring internship, and then accidentally became a serious project - attracting more talented people until a team was officially formed. Our main influences include the Rune Factory series, Spice and Wolf, Sunless Sea and the Earthsea cycle.
- Play as a masked, mysterious main character of uncertain race and gender. Their past and their future are yours to define.
- Befriend merchants, nomads, musicians, scholars, missionaries and many other travelers, each one with their own agenda. Swap gifts and tall tales, keep in touch with letters, and journey together to avoid loneliness.
- A gentle, weird word to explore. Befriend giant bees in the Golden Beehive; visit Green Hamlet, where trees have leaves made of glass; or visit the library-acquariums of the Teal Atheneum, where fish and books are the same thing.
- Haggle with other merchants to maximize your profits. A good trade is not only a matter of money: offer favours and information for a discount, or brazenly try to seduce your opponent.
- Hand-painted graphics: almost everything is being made with traditional watercolors and much love.
- An original soundtrack by Devin Vibert, the composer of Glitchhikers.
Logo & Icon
- "It's not everyday you find a game billed as "chamomile for the soul."
- Austin Wood, PC Gamer
- "Narrative RPG Selling Sunlight offers players many options on what they can do with their time in this world of eternal twilight, allowing them to spend time selling goods for the best prices, make friends (or more) with the other merchants and characters, or kill the sun itself for daring to steal the protagonist’s face."
- Joel Couture, Siliconera
- "Though the dialogue and story are key, Selling Sunlight also looks lovely. It has a light-dappled aesthetic with rich, textured colors and hand-drawn portraits, and it uses a mishmash of art styles."
- Stephanie Chan, VentureBeat
- "Narrative RPG ‘Selling Sunlight’ can teach other games how to do diversity right."
- Jasmine Henry, J Station X
- "Looks like a 2D, non-violent, dialogue-heavy, bee-heavy, watercolour Dark Souls!"
- Some Guy, Reddit
CoseBelle (Italian for "Nice Things") is an all-female team of former students of the International School of Comics, in Padua. We wish to create narrative games that - like comics - mix beautiful artwork and words to tell a story.
More information on CoseBelle, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Selling Sunlight Credits
Oliver Stefan Colombo